April 8, 2013

GUEST POST: COLORFUL GIRLS ROOM

Hi. I am excited to be a guest on  Edit Design House today!  My name is Kelley. I have 3 kids, I am a professional photographer and blog designer. I also have a huge obsession passion for interior design. No, I am no professional, but I enjoy making our house a home. My latest project has been my two daughters' bedroom. They are 6 and 3 years old.  We currently are renting this home, and so we knew the bright pink walls were not going anywhere. That was completely fine by my girls because, they of course LOVE the pink. They also told me they wanted a room that was bright and colorful.  So, I embraced the pink, added a bunch more color and I actually love how it turned out.  Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and hope for the best! I was on a tight budget for sure, but I have realized you don't always have to spend a fortune to achieve a room you are happy with. I am going to try and name all my sources and where I got everything, because I always like it when people do that for me.
 


I found these beds on Craig's list (they were an ugly brown color) and painted them white. I have a paint sprayer my husband gave me last year for Mother's day and I use it A LOT.  The frames above the bed are from IKEA and I sprayed them yellow (they were black) and put yellow chevron fabric from Hobby Lobby in them. The letters big letters "P" & "K" I painted and hung with ribbon, I also got those from Hobby Lobby. The 3D butterflys are from Target, and so are the green square and rose pillows.  The polka dot bedspreads are from Walmart. The yellow night stand was thrifted and I painted it yellow and added cute rose knobs that I got from Hobby Lobby.


The lamp was thrifted for $2 and you guessed it...painted!  I made the ruffled lamp shade by hot gluing ribbon to it. The cute bunny (my youngest daughters favorite thing about the room) was from Hobby Lobby.

The picture rail is from Ikea. Perfect for books :)
 
I'd only taken pictures of half the room, when I had to stop and put someone down for a nap...

She sure does love her  new room :)
 

After nap time, I got the rest of the pictures taken. One wall of the room has HUGE awesome murals that I got from Pop and Lolli. My girls love those.



And this is the other side of the room. The dresser is my favorite piece. I have had it since my first daughter was a baby. It used to have a changing pad on top of one side, and it was the perfect height for a changing table. Now that I don't have any kids in diapers (halleluiah), it's become just a dresser...the perfect dresser :) I love finding pieces that can grow with your child. I thrifted it for $50 and painted it green. It's an amazing solid piece of furniture with so much storage. 

And here is where I have a confession to make. I am a frame collector...hoarder... obsessor.  I have boxes and boxes of them in my garage of every shape and size. Whenever I go to a thrift store I always find great frames. My husband and sis-in-law think I need an intervention. :)  I didn't have to buy a single frame for this room. Just painted them.
 
 
 I printed up some pictures I love of my girls for the frames and then just some other cute artwork I found on google.

I made some fans and tissue paper poufs, and then got a few paper lanterns from my local party store. Those are my oldest daughter's favorite part.
 


 I thrifted this shutter and painted in yellow. Perfect for pinning pictures and quotes to. The teal owl came from Hobby Lobby with a nice 40% off coupon :)

This bench was super ugly when I first found it, but in great shape. So, I just painted and reupholstered it. Easiest re-upholstery job I have ever done! The top just unscrewed from the base, and I stapled gunned the fabric around it and screwed it back together.

 My tip for thrift shopping is to look for pieces that are sturdy and easy to fix up. I don't have time to do repairs, so I always try and start with something with no or minimal issues. Sometimes , I don't find what I want...patience is a BIG part of thrifting. You just have to keep checking back till you find "IT". Thanks to Pinterest I found an  AWESOME link that shows you all the thrift stores in your area. thethriftshopper.com You just put in your zip code and it gives you all the stores within a 20 mile radius.
 

I hope you all like my girls room! I had a TON of fun doing it and most importantly, my girls love it! Thanks Stacie and Melissa for letting me guest post on your wonderful blog.
 
Kelley Howe

5 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! What fabulous ideas!!! When the kiddos come, I'll be giving you a call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog. Really it's looks amazing. Modern Home lifts are very safe with local building codes and extra safety precautions. Today’s home elevators are designed to provide a high level of safety. Elite Elevators in India offers the safest Home lifts to our customers. Elite Elevators is the safest lifts company in India.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online